Wednesday, October 26, 2011

When You Don't Pay Attention to the News

Not only do you find yourself in massively large crowds excitedly awaiting the queen's arrival and the complete lack of tram services, but also you're confused about why everyone is wearing red.

Everywhere I looked, people were wearing red. Some people even went as far as fashioning themselves robes out of red material. There were just groups and groups of people in red wherever I looked! And the significance of it has completely escaped me!

Nothing about wearing red today was mentioned in the five minutes of news I watched this morning, so I couldn't think hard and remember what I had heard.

So naturally I just assumed that it was some weird ritual of Occupy Melbourne.

That assumption, however, went out the window when I got back to Flinders street and saw a group of grungy looking, chain smoking hippies sitting outside the station. Presumbably they were sticking it to the man, which would explain the continued heavy presense of the police around Fed Square.

These people looked more like the Occupy Melbourne lot than the red robe wearing people I saw amongst the crowd waiting for the queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment