Friday, April 8, 2011

About Writing Tips for Writers

I haven't been able to go to sleep tonight. So I've given up hope of that, and kept myself busy blogs on writing tips for writers (as opposed to writing tips for mathematicians), and I have to say that most of it seems like common sense to me.

Most of the stuff I've read has been about basic grammar and believable characters and dialogue.

Ok, I'll admit creating believable characters is hard, and takes real skill. That's why most of my characters are horrible people. I hope their horribleness will make them more believable.

But grammar and believable dialogue?

Those two things should really be second nature to any writer, since I assume that most writers are also massive readers. So naturally, writers should pick up necessary grammar and believable dialogue creating skills from the books they've read. So by the time they get around to writing, these things should come instinctively to them.

Having to explain the importance of something like the comma and the full stop to a person who wants to be a writer is like explaining the difference between upper and lower case to them. And having to explain to them what is wrong with the following dialogue shouldn't be necessary unless they're like five;

"Good morning, John." Said Sally.

"Good morning. How are you, Sally?" Asked John.

"I am good, John. How are you?" Asked Sally.

"I am well, thank you." Said John.

"How is your daughter, Kimmy?" Asked Sally.

"Kimmy is also well." Said John.

They should already know this.

Or they really need to rethink their dreams (as horrible as that is to say)

No comments:

Post a Comment