Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Dangers of Living in Suburbia

If rewatching season one of Desperate Housewives has taught me anything (besides I watched a lot more of it on TV than I thought) is that suburbia seems to be one of the most dangerous places to live.

Ok, well, that may be a slight exaggeration. It's not like people were breaking into their houses every other week and murdering the inhabitants of Wisteria Lane ... hmmm.

So there were break ins every other week. And there were even a couple of attacks as well. But this was mostly done by the lovely, righteous people of Wisteria Lane.

Suburbia isn't as safe as people like to believe it is!

It seems that people in suburbia have to lock all of their doors and windows, and even that's not quite enough to prevent nosey neighbours breaking in and snooping around. It's a good thing that most of the time they intruders are only after some juicy piece of gossip to share with their neighbours.

Now I don't exactly live in a fantastic part of town (I'm pretty sure there's a gang hq nearby). And yet, I don't really feel the need to tightly lock up the house with motion activated laser guns all over the house. And yet, there has been no break in ... as far as I know. Maybe there was a break in by a nosey neighbour who wanted something to gossip about.

Maybe it's Hollywood exaggerating the rate of break ins in suburbia. Or maybe Hollywood isn't. All I know is that suburbia is a dangerous place to live, which Desperate Housewives clearly shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment