Monday, June 13, 2011

Here's Another Reason

Ok, so after my last blog entry, I have been doing some reading up on earthworms. Mainly because of the blue earthworm picture Google presented to me. And I have decided that there's another reason why we should be worried about the earthworm threat; there's 650 species of earthworms native to Australia. Who knows how many more that have been introduced (I'm sure I could find that out if I bothered researching further).



I don't need to tell you, that's a shit load of earthworms crawling around under our feet.

And yet, no one seems to be worried about them.

Although, I must admit, I'm not sure if I scared of or just intrigued by the Terriswalkeris terraereginae species. They are blue and quite large. And I won't deny that I want to see a real one instead of just a picture of one. But when I see it, I'll probably want to kill the damn thing before it gets me ... something that colour just has to be poisonous.

But after seeing the picture of the blue earthworm, I could help but remember an incident when I was a kid;

I was in the sandpit, digging a whole with the family dog, Minnie. All of a sudden, Minnie froze and stared at something in the whole. Naturally, this piqued my curiosity (and it would probably have the same effect on me now), and I had a look myself.

Inside the whole was a whole lot of brightly coloured earthworms. Not your average, run of the mill pinkish ones. But bright green, and blue and orange ... I'm sure there were a couple of other colours but I can't remember what.

Now, seeing these brightly coloured worms in the sand I did what any kid would do in that situation; I picked them up and put them in the tray of my small trike to keep them safe.

By the time I thought of showing them to mum and dad a couple of days later, they were all dead and tried up (I didn't give them any sand or dirt to live in and it was late spring). Neither mum or dad believed me about the worms colours and I was smart enough to know that the dried up worm carcesses wouldn't prove anything to them (at least I hope I was smart enough to realize that).

All these years whenever I've thought about that little discovery, I always thought that I had imagined it. I mean, I can't even say for sure whether or not I had a sandpit at the farm.

But now, after seeing the Terriswalkeris terraereginae picture, I'm not so sure that the brightly coloured earthworm discovery was imagined. I mean, blue earthworms clearly do exist!

But then the thought of me picking up such brightly coloured things fills me with horror; as I mentioned earlier; something that bright and colourful has to be poisonous. And I touched them!

So, that's just one more reason why earthworms should be feared; they have the ability to mess with a person's mind, and maybe even the ability to poison a person.

A Master Mold to deal with the earthworm problem is looking better and better with each passing minute. Master Mold would teach them to go against the natural order.



Sources
http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/2008/05/giant_blue_earthworms_and_frie.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm#Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment