Thursday, June 16, 2011

At the Movies: Black Swan

After all of the hype surrounding Balck Swan, I was expecting it to be a bit of a let down.


Let's face it, much hyped popular movies are usually never very good and made for stupid, stupid people.

Not Black Swan.

In fact, the hype wasn't really adequate enough. I don't think there's enough hype in the world to adequately prepare a person for Black Swan. There's just so many twists and turns. So forget about trying to predict what's going to happen, because YOU WILL BE WRONG!

It was refreshing to see a movie that was completely unpredictable.

Although, I don't know why people were suggesting Lily (Mila Kunis)was a figment of Nina's (Natalie Portman) imagination.

Lily was real. Nina may have imagined a lot of things, but Lily was certainly not one of them.

But that being said, I think it's very possible that the darker, more twisted Lily who was out to get Nina was a figment of Nina's imagination. A manifestation of Nina's darker side and her desires ... though, Lily could well have been after Nina's role. I'm still unsure about that.

After many twists and turns, Black Swan appeared to be dark, sophisticated horror movie. It had me cringing in horror more than once, and by the end of it I felt much like Nina; unable to trust my own mind and unable trust what I saw.

Black Swan wonderfully portrayed the pyschological breakdown of a person. It had me appreciating my own sanity very early on.

But I'm glad I didn't end up deciding to watch Black Swan when I was home alone over the weekend. I'm pretty sure my housemates would've come home to find me hugging my kness, rocking back and forth on the couch.

Although I think that I need to watch it again and pick up some of the finer points that may have been during last night's viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment