Friday, January 13, 2012

The Monster Under the Bed is Still Very Real!

Last night the heating was left on a very high setting. That would be my fault since I was the last one to go to bed and completely forgot about turning down the heat settings (but that's what happens when the central heating system is completely silent).

So needless to say with the doona covering me it got very, very warm in bed last night. And when I woke up in the middle of the night I was very alarmed to find that my arm was hanging over the edge of the bed. I quickly pulled it back under the doona, to safety.

It was only then that I realised just how hot it was.

The heating needed to be turned down.

And yet I had no desire to leave my bed and turn it down. It's not like it was warm under the doona and the rest of the house was freezing cold. Thanks to the heating, the house was actually rather toasty warm.

No, my hesitation came from the fear of the monster under my bed. My arm had been dangling over the edge of my bed, tempting the thing, letting it know that I was easy prey.

The fact that the monster hadn't yet grabbed me and dragged me under the bed to its lair meant nothing. It was just waiting for the ideal time. Like, for instance, when I get out of bed to turn down the heating. Then it would have no problem grabbing my foot and dragging me down. It would be much harder for me to struggle free.

The fact that I outgrew this fear, that I know there is no monster under the bed meant nothing.

My arm had been there tempting it, acting like bait, and now it was very real and just waiting for its chance to get me.

Luckily, jumping off the bed towards the door was easy, and I was able to turn down the heating. Getting back into bed without entering the danger zone was a little more tricky; I'm still getting to know this house and it was completely black in my room. So my wild leap onto where I hope my bed was ended up being very awkward as I scrambled to make sure I was under my doona before the monster caught me.

Still, I did make it through the rest of the night without any sign of it, and now in the light of day I can laugh at my foolishness, hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment