Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Early Morning Energy

Most people fit into one of two groups; a morning person, capable of disgusting amounts of energy and cheerfulness at a horrible hour or not a morning person.

Guess which group I belong to.

Although, like just about everybody else, I have found a way to combat my morning drowsiness; a good strong cup of coffee or two in the morning ... seriously, the genious who invented coffee should become a saint. He/she can become the patron saint of the shiftworker, or anybody else who has to get up at odd and (usually) disgusting hours.

So naturally after my two very strong cups of coffee this morning I was feeling particuarly perky. Even if I did go a bit quiet on the train to Melbourne. But I perked right up again when we got to Sunshine, and while I was waiting for the train to pull up next to a platform at Southern Cross I had time to inspect the rest of the carriage;

Apart from a whispered conversation at the back, it was almost completely silent. Only a couple of other people besides me were stirring. Most were still sleeping.

And that's when it hit me;

I was the first out of my seat. I was the one bouncing excitedly on the balls of my feet. I was probably the one with the stupid cheerful grin plastered on my face.

I was one of them!

And by them I mean one of those disgustingly bright and cheerful morning people who everyone hates to be around until after mid morning (at the earliest).

I felt kind of indecent to be feeling so energetic.

At least things changed once I was off the train and mingled with the rest of the Melbournians who had already had their all important two cups* of morning coffee. The hustle and bustle of peak hour meant that being energetic and all that is a good thing. Not something to be ashamed of while on the train.

Still, it's not as bad as that time I merrily bounced into the servo at five am full of sickening cheerfulness and energy. I really did deserve the bleary eyed look f disgust from the other customers that day.


*two cups is just an estimated amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment