Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Trip to the Shops

I was always under the impression that Thursday mornings was the time of the old people. The one time of the week when they all come out en mass, and roam the streets with impunity, staying in the safety of their homes the rest of the time.

But apparently the morning of (the supposed) pension payment day isn't the only time they swarm around the shops and the bank.

Maybe it's a morning thing for them (I'm usually still in bed until late morning or early afternoon). Maybe they also come out on Wednesday mornings as well as pension day mornings.

Who knows.

It's just one of life's little mysteries, I guess.

But, back to the point;

There were a lot of old people out and about today while I was out. They were clogging up lines wherever I went ... which was admittedly only the bank and then Coles.

Old people everywhere!

And worse!

Long lines! The bane of my life after crowds (which I don't need to say are always full of stupid, stupid people).

But there was worse to come.

Oh yes, it got worse. Unbelievable as that sounds.

When I was leaving Coles, I happened across a crazy old man in the doorway. I know he was crazy because he was just standing there talking to himself (and there was a definite lack of an ear piece or phone). But not only was he crazy, but he also seemed to have eyes in the back of his head; he constantly walked where I went as I tried getting past him. He even made sure to walk in front of me all the way to the bus stop.

Thankfully he stopped his bizarre pursuit of me there. But that's probably because I went no further than the bus stop.

After that, I was alarmed, though not surprised, to see more oldies on the bus. But none of them seemed crazy nor in possession of something mystical like eyes in the back of their heads.

But then, I really wasn't paying attention by that point. I had plugged myself into my iPod and had zoned out.

And now I'm safe and sound back at home ... until I venture out again, because I forgot to buy kitty litter while I was out, and I still have a phone bill that I should probably pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment