Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wii Fit

It's probably a good thing I'm not impressionable when it comes to my weight.

I just jumped on the Wii Fit to check out how I was doing weight-wise. I'm now in the ideal weight range according to Wii Fit. But as well as congratulating me about this, it also told me that I still needed to lose more weight.

Yeah, I need to lose another five kg if I want to be totally healthy.

So now I'm going to find out what happens when I reach my goal weight that Wii Fit has set for me. Not because it told I have to, but because I want to reach the weight I was when I was 17/18 (something that is surprisingly hard when mum isn't around to monitor what I eat so that I don't over indulge).

I'm pretty certain that once I reached my (or Wii Fit's) ideal weight, I'm pretty certain that Wii Fit won't congratulate me. It'll just say that I need to lose more weight so that my BMI is absolutely perfect (at least that will most likely be the excuse it uses as it demands I drop my weight).

Now that's healthy, isn't it?

Especially if I were really self conscious about how I looked and wanted to look like one of the photo shopped models in the magazines.

While the Wii Fit is a great way to get exercise without having to leave the house and go to the gym, it's extremely dangerous.

Wii Fit doesn't seem to realize that no one has the same ideal weight as anyone else (and how would it? It's a computer). So when you set unrealistic weight loss goals (for example, 10 kg in two weeks), and then don't achieve said goal, it gets angry and berates you for it ... even though two weeks earlier it said that such weight loss is extremely unhealthy and unsafe.

So imagine all of those people who are extremely conscious about their body image using the Wii Fit. It'll be doing them more damage than good. Demanding that they lose more weight sooner.



Oh, and I'm aware that plenty of people have already probably talked about this (and probably in better and more detail). I've just realized just how damaging it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment